Monday, May 3, 2010

Derby Day


Derby Day is one of my favorite days of the whole year. I love the horse race, I love the events and drama that leads up to the race, I love to have people over wearing big hats and eat GOOD Southern food and just hang out. So, even though schedules are a bit crazy with training and working and trying to study...I decided to have another Derby Party.

Friday morning I had to get up at 4am, and go to work the kids out at morning practice. Once they left, I did my 45 minute swim with some late-coming masters and then got dressed to run. Did a 2 hour run from 8-10am. Came back and its the day we do "Shark Races." Which is like an intersquad meet. So I spent 2 hours getting the meet set up...and finally headed home around 12:30. Basically, that gave me 2 hours at home to eat lunch and clean a bit more. I had gotten maybe half the house clean on Thurs., so I wanted to finish cleaning and get the cupcakes made on Friday. Within that 2 hours, not much got done. Best news about Shark races is free food after the races...so dinner was done! Christian ran down from our house to the pool for his run, so I had a plate ready for him. Went home and spent the evening cleaning and making cupcakes.

We decided to switch our usual Sat (long brick) and Sun (2 hour ride/30 min run) workouts b/c I had morning practice about 45 minutes away on Sat from 7:30-10. We got up at 5:30 and did our 30 min easy run at 6 am. Then I headed to practice. I did some Derby races at the end of practice (5 kids raced in one lane and then jumped to come back in another lane like a track! Very fun!), and headed home. Got home in time for some lunch and to start making some food. Christian had luckily started prepping while I was at practice. I started making the pieces to the cupcakes (supposed to look like horses in the end). We finally left for our 2 hour ride around 1:00-3:00. Got back and had to finish making the rest of the food, the cupcakes, and shower and get dressed by 4:00!

I turned the corner to see that all the pieces to the cupcakes I had made had been EATEN BY JACK! UGH! Christian ran back to the store to get new pieces as I got the Derby pie in the oven, and showered. Once back, I again attempted to make pieces to the cupcakes only to find the chocolate glue was not hardening b/c its too hot in our house! FRUSTRATION! Ran out of time to make homemade biscuits so called a friend to get some pre-made ones. What we did get done before people arrived: Deviled eggs, Ham and pre-made biscuits, corn pudding, fried green tomatoes, and Derby Pie. Our neighbor brought some mac and cheese, and I finally gave up on getting the cupcakes finished (what did get done of the cupcakes did not look like horses, but would've worked great at a bachelor party!). I just couldn't do it all!

Other than that however, it turned out great. We had a great time, with some of the people we actually like here! :) The pool winner won $15! It wasn't me! My horse never left the middle of the pack! Will I do it again next year, wherever we are!? Probably!

Sunday just left us with a 3:30 hour bike ride. Supposed to simulate the 70.3 with some 5x12:00 intervals. OUCH! Into the wind! Double OUCH! Wind is the BANE of my existence! But covered 60 miles in the 3:30 and came back for a Zone 3 brick run! OUCH! But held around 9:30 pace, so not too unhappy! Happy for recovery day today!

1 comment: